C Sews StyleEye – Prints! 23 August 2012

I’ve seen many interesting prints over the past few weeks. Here are some that caught my eye in San Francisco and Berkeley. I spotted these women on the street, on the BART platform, and outside a grocery store. You can see my previous StyleEye posts here.

Most of these women are in motion so they aren’t always in focus but I think you can see why they caught my eye. Enjoy!

20120822-143807.jpg
I like the print on this jacket – rather alligator like (spotted in Union Square, SF).
Great palette of bright colors along with black stripes (seen on steps in the Montgomery BART station).
This is a vintage dress – unique fabric (photo taken in Berkeley).
I love this jacket’s “plaid” pattern (seen in downtown San Francisco).
Cool print on this top (seen at a Tully’s coffee in San Francisco)
This skirt was a chiffon or silk fabric (spotted in Berkeley).
Lovely flowing skirt (seen in downtown San Francisco)
I like the combination of grey and lemon yellow polka dots on this silk top (seen on the BART escalator in San Francisco)

Making Colette Patterns Jasmine Top – Part 1

I bought this “Jasmine” top pattern from Colette Patterns earlier this year. For fabrics, I decided to use a striped cotton shirting, a remnant I got from Britex Fabrics a while ago. I thought it would be a nice contrast to this feminine style and make full use of this bias-cut pattern.

The instructions mentioned that the pattern was fitted so be careful to pick the correct size (the pattern goes from size 0-18) and to be precise in cutting the fabric. I decided to go with size 10 because I have wide hips.

This was the perfect project to use my new and elegant Gingher rotary cutter. It cuts like a dream!

My Gingher rotary cutter (notice the stainless steel washers as pattern weights)

For pattern weights I used these large stainless steel washers I got from Home Depot – a tip from The Colette Sewing Handbook by Sarai Mittnick (lots of tips and plenty of patterns in this book).

The front and the back are each made from two pieces cut on the bias. So if you’re using a striped fabric, the stripes will at a 45-degree angle, making a V where they meet at the seam down the middle. the stipes are tiny on this fabric so I didn’t worry about matching them up. There are also bust darts in the front.

Once the front and back pieces are done, then they get sewn together on the side seams. The next step is the neckline.

The only slight problem was the center loop that you thread the tie pieces through.

The center front loop

The pattern cutting layout indicates that you’re supposed to cut two pieces of this 3/8-inch strip of fabric. But the pattern instructions say that the seam allowance is 1/4-inch seam, which doesn’t make sense. The illustrated instructions indicate that it’s supposed to be cut on the fold. So I cut another loop, doubling the width to 3/4-inch wide.

Other than that minor snafu, it is an easy pattern to sew and the instructions are clear. Part 2 will focus on the sleeves and adjusting the size.

Front of Jasmine bias cut top