Hashtag Sew Red October

Sew Red October

I’m participating in Sew Red October (#sewredoctober) – initially called #redoctober but then it was changed when folks realized that it was a hashtag being used for the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team. The idea is simple –  sew something in red in October.

I first heard about it from Leila of Three Dresses Project in her September post The Sewcialists do it again with Red October. Then you post your photos to the Sewcialists Flickr page. There are some great finished projects up already so check it out!

The great logo was designed by Gillian of Crafting a Rainbow. I love the periscope, which oh so cleverly evokes the entertaining film (and book) The Hunt for Red October. Thank you Gillian!

Red is one of my favorite colors so I wanted to participate as soon as I heard about it. But first I had to complete my Fall for Cotton project and my Grainline Tiny Pocket Tank. (You can see photos here: My Fall for Cotton 1940s Girl Friday Blouse Is Finished! I haven’t posted about the tank yet.)

We were going through a couple of heat waves in the Bay Area but I knew that wasn’t going to last so I had to get the tank done.

Meanwhile I thought about what I would make for Red October. I had a couple yards of red knit fabric that was ruined in June when I prewashed it with three other knits – black, brown, and blue. For some reason the red was the only fabric that got these blotchy stains on it from the black! I was so disgusted I just put it away. Here’s one splotchy area. Grrrrr!

Stain on my red knit fabric from prewashing

When I heard about Red October I decided to take another look at the fabric. A couple areas didn’t have random dark areas on it so I thought why not see if I could make something from it? So I decided to do my first Sewing Cake Hummingbird pattern hack and make a red tee shirt. (You can buy the Hummingbird pattern in Sewing Cake’s Etsy shop as a printed paper pattern or a PDF.)

I’ve already made three Hummingbird peplum tops and I like the binding on the neckline and armhole so why not make a tee? (Photos of my blue, striped, and red ones are here: More Hummingbird Tops!)

I used the front and back pieces of the Green top and then I drafted a bottom piece 9 inches (22.9 cm) long to attach to the existing Hummingbird top pieces. I really wasn’t sure how much to add to the hip width to accommodate the stretch. Also I wanted it to be a fitted tee, not a loose one. I used my hip curve to draw a line from the waist to the widest hip point. I decided to add about 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) – it may not enough but hey, this is essentially a muslin, right?

Cutting around stains

Here’s a closer shot of the bottom piece I drafted and just placed beneath my pattern piece for the Hummingbird front top piece. I drafted another bottom piece (also 9 inches long) for the back.

New bottom piece for Hummingbird hack

My pieces are cut and ready to sew! (Yeah, they’re wrinkly because I folded up the fabric to cut elsewhere and didn’t have an iron on hand.)

Hummingbird hack - cut pieces

Have you hacked any Cake Patterns? What did you do? And if you’re making something for Red October, please share your link in the comments below. I’d love to see what you’re working on!

Follow on Bloglovin follow us in feedly

 

 

Get my monthly newsletter!

The first Tuesday of every month, I send out C Sews updates, Bay Area Sewists news + design details. Join other sewists, crafters & creative people!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

4 Responses to “Hashtag Sew Red October”

  1. October 16, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

    I really like the shape of the tee… Many tees just “hang”… this one looks really nice! (so far!)

    • October 16, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

      Thanks! I hope it won’t be too snug. It’s a cotton knit with 5 percent lycra.

  2. October 16, 2013 at 11:06 am #

    I am participating in Sew Red October (http://wp.me/p3HVTK-qt) and I have hacked several Cake Patterns! 🙂 I have hacked the Hummingbird peplum top to a straight top (http://wp.me/p3HVTK-w), hacked the Hummingbird top into a dress (+ Tiramisu skirt – http://wp.me/p3HVTK-je), and hacked the Bonny Knit Sailor Top into a dress (+ Tiramisu skirt – http://wp.me/p3HVTK-cr). Cake Patterns are sooooo hackable!! And mix-and-matchable! 🙂

    • October 16, 2013 at 11:12 am #

      Thanks so much for the links! You’ve certainly done a lot of hacks of Cake Patterns! Very cool. I definitely want to see what you did to make the peplum into a straight top. I like the idea of making the Hummingbird top into a dress – I remember seeing that post! I’ll look at it again. 🙂

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: